Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tales from Outer Suburbia

So I put together a book full of short stories about life in the suburbs that was to help me deal with the anger, fear, and frustration I felt with what I saw, especially what I saw in me. Shaun Tan put together a book full of short stories about life in the suburbs that's brimming with hope, honesty, humor, and amazing artwork.

Tan's Tales from Outer Suburbia was up for a World Fantasy award this year for Best Collection. It didn't win -- the other nominees are damn good, too, and I couldn't pick one as the best -- but Tan did win for Best Artist. I think he deserves it. This book is so beautiful, and not just visually; the images and words bring out the best in each other. I really recommend it.

To get this book, I had to go to the children's section of the local library. Sometimes I feel awkward doing that, as if I have no right to go in there without a child of my own. But I remind myself, as I tell you now, that good books that have the "juvenile" label on them will ring just as true to adults. Read Shaun Tan's book, and you will be richly rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment